Why Is It Important to Keep Your Spine in Good Form?
Your spine is one of the most important parts of your body. It supports your skull and it has nerves that run through it. If you damage the spine, you can cause a lot of damage to these nerves which can affect them throughout your body including bladder control, bowel function, and feeling in limbs. When you have a damaged spine, there may be pain, numbness, or weakness affecting you. This can be caused by many different things including infection, spinal fractures, and spinal stenosis.
The spine is designed to protect your central nervous system but when it becomes damaged or worn out this means that it can't do this job. This can lead to a lot of problems and may even impact your life. There are many causes such as injury, arthritis, and degenerative conditions like bulging discs. If you have a spine condition such as scoliosis, it will lead to an uneven distribution of weight and can also cause pain in your back. The spinal disc is made up of cartilage which is flexible and it serves to cushion the vertebrae. It is important because it absorbs the pressure that is put on your spine. When this becomes worn out, it can cause damage to the disc resulting in pain in your legs and back. It may also lead to back pain which will be continuous and could even interfere with sleep or normal daily activities.
What Is Chiropractic Spinal Decompression?
Chiropractic spinal decompression is an innovative approach to prevent further damage caused by spinal conditions or injuries. At Complete Care Chiropractic Owasso, Ok., we use a machine that will manipulate the spine which unloads the pressure off the discs and surrounding vertebrae. The result is more room for your spinal cord and nerve roots which can help you to get rid of pain, numbness, and tingling sensations. This doesn't just ease pain in your back, it can also help to get rid of leg pain due to something like sciatica. Many people find relief from their condition because the treatments are non-invasive and don't involve surgery or medication.
How Chiropractic Spinal Decompression Works?
The treatment is done using a machine known as the DRX9000. This spinal decompression device uses dynamic force to gently stretch and compress your spine which can reduce the pressure put on your joints and discs by up to 50%. This will allow your body more room for the nerve roots and it can stimulate them too. You will lay down on this machine and it will hold your spine in place. The machine can be adjusted to suit you and you should notice a difference after one treatment. If you have more than one level of the spine that is damaged, you may need more than one session as the effects may not last very long.
This decompression technique was first used by NASA engineers which shows how effective it is. They recognized that there was a need for astronauts to have their spines protected during takeoff which means this device has been proven to help people with back pain.
Conditions That Can Be Treated by Chiropractic Spinal Compression
Aside from neck and back pain, chiropractors at Complete Care Chiropractic Owasso, OK. can help treat the following:
1. Herniated discs- this happens when the soft, gel-like center of your disc pushes through a tear in the tougher exterior. This is often caused by injury or degradation over time.
2. Bulging discs - this is similar to herniated except that it doesn't push through a tear in the exterior wall. This can cause pain and even paralysis in the arms or legs.
3. Spinal stenosis - this is a condition that can happen to anyone and it occurs when your spinal canal becomes narrow and presses on the nerves. This can cause numbness, pain, and even weakness in your limbs.
4. Sciatica- this happens when the sciatic nerve roots which run from your lower back through your hips and buttocks become irritated which leads to pain. This is often caused by a herniated disc or bone spur.
5. Cervical radiculopathy- this happens when the nerve roots in your neck are compressed which can cause numbness, tingling, and weakness in your arms. This affects the same nerves that go to your fingers.
6. Scoliosis - this is a condition that causes your spine to curve and rotate. If the C curve of your spine becomes larger, it can cause pain and pressure on organs.
7. Arthritis- this is a degenerative condition that happens when the cushioning cartilage between your joints thins. Arthritis can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling in your joints.
8. Degenerative disc disease- this happens when the discs that cushion your spine start to break down and become less elastic. This can lead to disc height loss which means you might get herniated discs.
9. Fibromyalgia- this is a condition that causes widespread pain in your muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Fibromyalgia can also cause fatigue, sleep disturbance and there are some patients who also get irritable bowel syndrome.
8. Auto-immune diseases that impact joints and spine - there are some diseases that can cause damage to the spine including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis.
As you can see, there are many health conditions that can be helped by chiropractic spinal decompression. It will take time but it is worth it for your long-term health.
What Are The Benefits of Chiropractic Spinal Decompression Treatment?
1. Improved mobility- when you have a herniated disc, bulging disc, or any condition that is putting pressure on your spine, it can cause inflammation which will affect the nerves going to the arms and legs. Chiropractic care has been proven to help reduce joint pain and improve the range of motion in patients who have these kinds of issues.
2. Alleviates chronic pain- when you have inflammation in your joints or nerves, it can cause chronic pain which is why chiropractic joint manipulation has been proven to be effective in managing it. This helps reduce inflammation and this means that patients who suffer from arthritis, lower back pain and neck pain will see an improvement in their symptoms.
3. Better posture- when you have a herniated disc or a bulging disc, it can cause your spine to bend and this will affect your posture. When you have chiropractic spinal decompression this will be able to realign your spine which means that you won't slouch as much.
4. Reduced stress- when you have an injured spine, it can affect your ability to manage stress. This is because there are many nerves in your back and if they become damaged, it can lead to pain which will make you feel more anxious or depressed. Chiropractic care has been proven to reduce stress in patients that suffer from upper and lower back pain.
5. Improved quality of sleep- this happens because chiropractic spinal adjustment helps align your spine which means that it won't cause pressure or pain in your neck, back, and hips. This will allow you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer so that you don't wake up feeling groggy.
6. Improved immune system function- when you have a herniated disc or bulging disc, it can cause swelling in the spine which means that your body's immune function will be affected. This is why many patients with these kinds of injuries also deal with colds and flu more often than usual. Chiropractic care has been proven to increase immunity and reduce susceptibility to respiratory infections.
7. Improved blood flow- when you have a herniated disc or bulging disc, it can cause compression in your spine which cuts off the flow of oxygen along with nerve roots. This is why it has been proven effective in helping patients who suffer from hypertension and cardiovascular problems. It can help them manage their blood pressure better and improve circulation.
8. Improved digestive function- when you have a herniated disc or bulging disc, it can cause your body to produce more cortisol which will affect the functioning of your gastrointestinal tract. This means that you might suffer from acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, and other digestive conditions. Chiropractic care has been proven to help improve digestion in patients who have these kinds of issues.
9. Improved mental function- when you suffer from chronic pain, it can affect your ability to focus and make decisions. When you see me for spinal decompression, I will be able to reduce inflammation in your nerves so your brain is able to function properly. This means that you'll feel less anxious and have better concentration.
10. Reduced body fat- when you suffer from chronic pain, it can cause a lot of stress which can lead to weight gain as a result of emotional eating. Chiropractic care has been proven to help patients reduce their body fat which means that you'll have better posture and not feel self-conscious about how you look!
With so many different conditions that can be treated with chiropractic spinal decompression, it’s important to find a doctor who specializes in this specific treatment. By looking for someone who is certified by the American Chiropractic Association and has completed at least 100 hours of training on using chiropractor spinal decompression machines, consider visiting me and you'll know your spine will be in good hands.
If you're interested in finding out more about what we do here at Complete Care Chiropractic Owasso, OK., or would like to schedule an appointment call me at (918) 272-8054 or visit my website at owassochiropractor.com today! I offer personalized care that addresses each patient’s unique needs.